Old factory image

Tomlinson of today has grown from humble beginnings starting back in the 1920s, when Mr John A. A. Tomlinson set-up a company producing equipment for the printing industry. After his son, John ‘Barrie’ Tomlinson joined the family business in 1939 the company became known as "John Tomlinson (Processes) Ltd".

In early 1960, with Barrie at the head of the business, the team was moved into a newly built factory, which we are still proud to call "home" today. Always eager to stay up to speed with the latest developments, Barrie expanded the engraving side of the business in 1973 by launching Tomlinson (Engraving) Ltd. In the same year, David Tomkins, son of Jack Tomkins (an executive director with John Tomlinson (Processes) Ltd), joined as a Director.

The business went through many changes during the 1980s, including the introduction of web offset and Cyrel flexo printing and the decline of the hot metal printing plates. The time was right for both of the Tomlinson businesses to merge and in 1987 "Tomlinson Ltd" was born.

In 1996, our position as one of the leading suppliers of magnesium and copper etched dies, hand-engraved embossing and foiling dies was cemented. David Tomkins was instrumental in introducing our precision CNC engraving capabilities. In 1998 the family ties got stronger, when Lynne Tomlinson-Hands (Barrie’s younger daughter) joined the board.

As a business, we have always attracted and maintained a loyal and passionate workforce. In 2019, Lynne became the Founder Trustee on the board of Tomlinson Trustees, after officially retiring from the day to day running of the business.

We’ve got strong roots in the print industry and a clear path for building a bright future.
Historical 191204 140442
2019 Factory X